Before filing Articles of Organization with the Secretary of State to register a business in South Dakota, each business owner needs to appoint a registered agent. You can read more about this in the state law (§ 59-11-6).
This guide will help simplify the South Dakota registered agent search and select a reliable candidate for the position.
Best Registered Agent Service in South Dakota
A registered agent (resident agent or statutory agent) is a person or legal entity who is an official representative of the firm and receives/processes state correspondence on behalf of the business.
Therefore, it is important to choose a reliable service provider that is able to keep data safe, meet all legal requirements, and more.
Before moving on to a basic review of the registered agents for LLC in South Dakota we have studied, let's take a look at which RA representatives will be able to serve businesses in major cities.
Registered Agent in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- DakotaPost offers a subscription to one of their mail forwarding plans: Premium from $179/year or VIP from $249/year;
- Anderson Registered Agents Inc. is located at 519 WEST 22ND STREET SUITE 100. To check their price list, contact the service managers at 800-706-4741;
- Capitol Corporate Services, Inc. is located at 300 S. PHILLIPS AVE., STE. 300. Contact customer service at 800-345-4647 to get more information;
- Corporate Creations Network Inc. The office is located at 101 S REID STREET #307. They promise to make a free quote by calling (561) 694-8107.
Registered agent in Pierre, South Dakota
- Wolters Kluwer. The provider's office can be found at 319 S COTEAU ST. The services will cost businesses from $320/year to $766/year;
- Eresidentagent, Inc. The office is located at 326 N MADISON AVE. The provider charges an annual fee of $145 for registered agent services South Dakota;
- Incorporating Services, LTD. The service office is located at 326 N MADISON AVE. Contact the representatives at 800 346 4646 to find out what prices they offer;
- Platinum Registered Agents Inc. Find the firm at 326 N MADISON. It offers its solutions in all the states in the United States. The phone number: 718 705 9886.
Registered Agent for LLC in South Dakota: Requirements
Under state law, an RA has to meet the following requirements:
- The agent should be a resident of the state or a company eligible to do business in the region;
- The agent should have a physical address where process notices will be delivered;
- The agent is required to be available at all times during regular business hours.
You can check the RA list on a South Dakota Secretary of State's website or rely on our review. We've carefully selected the best providers on the market so you can take advantage of their offerings.
Northwest Registered Agent
Cost: $125 per year
This company boasts 3 million businesses served, 700 employees, and more than 20 years of experience as an RA. Today, Northwest is a national registered agent, providing services in 50 states across the country.
- Price. The provider rates RA services at $125 a year, and that's a reasonable price for such quality;
- Wholesale discounts. If you need an agent not only in South Dakota but also in other states, Northwest does a $100/state offer for wholesale customers;
- First-class tools. Default privacy, corporate directories, server software, maintenance tools, compliance notices, state forms, and an online account;
- Corporate Guides. Northwest has an in-house chat program for clients, as well as phone and email to contact business experts;
- Financial Principles. There are no hidden commissions, double payments, etc. And all the prices users see on the site are exactly what they will pay;
- Online platform. A user-friendly interface allows you to quickly understand where and how to order a service. And the procedure can be completed in a few minutes;
- LLC registration. Users can ask for assistance in registering a new company in the state for $375, and this price already includes Northwest RA's assistance.
- Additional services. Corporate guides can take care of an EIN registration ($50). The annual report service costs $100.
Comments from customers online are impressive. Many of them praise the quality of service and the work of guides who always help young businessmen find solutions. The agents are described as diligent and professional. Northwest has also received accreditation from the BBB.
Harbor Compliance Registered Agent
Cost: $99 per year
Over 35,000 business owners throughout the United States have entrusted their firms to Harbor Compliance. The provider's main offerings are company formation and related services (business licenses, resident agent, DBA).
- Price. The standard price for RA's assistance is $99 per year. But 10 years of cooperation involves a $100 South Dakota registered agent discount ($89 a year);
- Good standing. Harbor Compliance has software that helps businesses run more efficiently and comply with state regulations;
- Wholesale Discounts. Harbor Compliance agents are located in all U.S. states, so clients can get RAs in multiple regions at the same time;
- Support. Customers write about their support service regularly on rating sites. We have also contacted Harbor Compliance by phoneto attest to their professionalism.
- Turnkey Prices. Ordering an LLC registration along with an EIN and RA service, the purchase will cost you from $546, which is deemed to be very expensive.
Overall, judging by the reviews, South Dakota registered agent services of this provider make a positive impression. Clients report phenomenal professionalism.
Although there are some negative reviews on the sites, the service specialists are quick to respond to them in order to resolve the dispute. On top of that, Harbor Compliance received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
LegalZoom Registered agent
Cost: $299 per year
While the main business of this service is legal assistance in all areas of life, they are also excellent as an agent provider. This firm offers this service in all 50 states.
- Experience. LegalZoom is celebrating its 21st anniversary in 2022. Over the years, they've helped more than 2 million people make their plans come to fruition;
- Fixed prices. The provider promises that no hidden fees will be uncovered by users. And this is true;
- Help with amendments. If there is a need to change an RA, LegalZoom will fulfill this requirement for free;
- Insurance. They provide $1M worth of insurance against identity theft. When signing LZ's registered agent consent form South Dakota, it becomes possible;
- RA assistance. This includes unlimited cloud storage, email alerts, critical deadline notifications, a compliance calendar, and credit monitoring;
- Additional Services. Сompany owners will be able to consult with qualified and experienced attorneys in more than just business matters.
- Price. Sky-high prices for the service significantly reduce the company's rating;
- Cancellation. There can be complications on this issue. Although the agency promises refunds, it is very difficult to get this done if you change their agent.
Reviews about the service are mixed, but that's not surprising given how long it has been providing services on the market. On the other hand, we saw a lot of positive feedback. In total, LegalZoom received a 4.5 out of a possible 5.
Zen Business Registered Agent
Cost: $199 per year
When conducting South Dakota business registered agent search, we've found another worthy candidate for startups and small businesses.
Zen Business is a provider that aims to make starting an LLC affordable for all people.
- Price. Zen The standard price for RA services is $199 a year, and for those looking to take advantage of the offer for the first time, the price will be $99;
- Refunds. Zen Business is confident in the quality of its services. Otherwise, they will refund your money (within 60 days after the order is placed);
- Support. Customers are positive about the support service. ZB is ready to accept calls not only during working hours but also on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.;
- Tools. In addition to a registered agent and related services, ZenBusiness offers its own Money Pro app to help manage the firm's finances.
- RA is not included in packages. LLC formation packages do not include an RA service. Thus, you will have to pay for an agent separately.
ZenBusiness has received positive reviews from customers and online ratings, although one-star posts are not a rarity. Customers usually express their satisfaction with support service, quality of assistance in forming LLCs, and local registered agents' help.
Incfile Registered Agent
Cost: $119 per year
This provider promises to take the stress out of anyone wanting to build a successful company in America. Operating on the market since 2004, the firm has served almost a million clients.
- Price. The first year with Incfile will cost you $0. But if you want minimum formation options + RA, then you'll pay only the state registration fee ($150);
- Add-ons. By ordering the RA service, the client is entitled to one free consultation with a tax professional;
- Online platform. Incfile's website is a resource that aims to help future business owners learn and understand how an RA works and why they should hire one;
- Transparency. We didn't find any hidden commissions or any additional intrusive offers.
- Refunds. Incfile says that they will refund money in case of a negative experience. Judging by South Dakota registered agent reviews, they have problems with this.
Mostly, customers are positive about the work of RA. They attest to the fact that this provider saves a lot of money.
Rocket Lawyer Registered Agent
Cost: $149.99 per year
If you're looking for a company that offers similar to LegalZoom's features but at a lower price, Rocket Lawyer will be the best registered agent service South Dakota.
It has served more than 20 million businesses, even though the provider has been on the market since 2008.
- Experience. The provider has accumulated years of experience, which helps it provide quality, error-free solutions as an agent;
- Price and Features. If you become a Rocket Lawyer member, you get a 25% discount. You will get simple online organization, reputation protection, etc;
- Trial version. Users can experience Rocket Lawyer's features for free (for 1 week);
- Support. By signing up for the package, clients receive legal support and the opportunity to get advice from attorneys.
- Prices. Although Rocket Lawyer has lower agent prices than its competitor LegalZoom, it is still expensive compared to other companies in the rankings;
- Billing issues. After signing up for the trial version, many users had trouble canceling the service.
The work of the registered agents positively impresses many clients, as they note this fact in the reviews on rating portals. They also choose Rocket Lawyer because the company provides legal services.
Negative reviews are also present, and they are usually related to trial cancellation issues.
InCorp Registered Agent
Cost: $129 per year
Our registered agent South Dakota search ends up with InCorp because we liked its experience the best for reviews, offers, and features.
- Experience. InCorp is not as popular as Northwest, but it has been on the market since 1998. More than 200,000 companies have used its resident agent services;
- Price. InCorp offers sending of important notifications, protection against theft of corporate information through its own EntityWatch technology, etc;
- Discounts. By upgrading a registered South Dakota agent from one year of cooperation to five years, a customer will pay $87 a year.
- An agent is not included in the formation package. InCorp only offers one LLC registration package for $99, but it does not include a statutory agent’s assistance.
The provider has received high praise from the BBB website, as well as from its customers on rating sites. Considering how long the service has been in operation, we’ve found negative reviews as well, which is not surprising.
Registered Agent Review: General Conclusions
If you need a package with a minimal set of features, pay attention to IncFile, which offers $0 for both registered agent services (first year only) and LLC formation.
If you need attorney advice along with an agent, consider LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer. The former provider offers significantly more expensive services, but the attorneys focus on all legal areas.
InCorp and Harbor Compliance provide bulk discounts on agent services. Zen Business, on the other hand, is known for its social stance, offering owners the best prices for agents’ help. Northwest offers its expertise, best prices, and bulk discounts.
Benefits of Using a South Dakota Registered Agent Service
Appointing an agent will bring a lot of benefits for you:
- Time savings. To comply with state regulatory requirements, the owner needs to monitor a lot of information from various sources. Agents take on this responsibility;
- Compliance. Professional services are familiar with state and federal regulations/timelines, so they help avoid fines and maintain reputation;
- Confidentiality. Agents receive all process notifications on behalf of the company to their address. Therefore, no government officials will show up in front of your clients;
- Free time. The main requirement for agents is to be available during regular business hours;
- Ability to open a foreign LLC. If you plan to expand your business, then you will need the services of a professional resident agent in another state as well.
Best Registered Agent Review: How Do We Choose
Our goal is to introduce beginner businessmen to the basics and principles of forming limited liability companies. We hope that our articles will simplify the process and help you find reliable providers to realize your ideas.
Why You Can Trust Our Choice
- Just the facts. In our articles and reviews, readers will find only the answers to their questions with no unwanted or false information;
- We are responsible. We carefully verify all the information we want to write about. We bring in third-party experts, such as lawyers, to provide the correct information.
How We Selected the Best Registered Agent
To get a quality review, we work this way:
Conduct South Dakota Registered Agent Searches
We research the state's market and see what RA options are available. Then, our experts list them all in a spreadsheet to take us to the next step.
Analyze South Dakota Registered Agent Reviews
Each company on the list should be researched and analyzed according to such parameters:
- Reviews, etc.
Then, we collate the facts to put the companies in a preliminary ranking.
Check and Select the Best Ones
Our experts contact services that could potentially be of interest to first-time business owners. We also communicate with providers’ clients to get a first-hand opinion.
And when we've gathered all the information, we analyze and make a final ranking of providers.
Appointing a registered agent is a must for all LLC owners. Contact professional services that, for a small fee, will be the link between your business and the state.
We hope that our review will help you make the best choice and facilitate the task of finding a resident agent.